Monday, June 8, 2009

Age does not equal wisdom

Most cultures acknowledge that age and wisdom correlate. Eastern cultures recognize sages, Christianity discusses the three wise men, Hinduism has gurus...While many times people get smarter as they age, this is not always the case. I'm sure most of you were poli sci majors in college, but many of you have forgotten the basic rules of social science, so let me remind you: correlation is not causation. Just because you're older than me does not mean you are smarter than me. A DC staffer once blogged, "This is DC, everyone smart." Yes, staffers, this includes your interns as well. We worked our asses off getting here, filled out countless applications, wrote numerous essays, participated in multiple rounds of interviews, and beat out hundreds of other applicants. Not only were we competing against fellow students but we also had to compete with laid off DC staffers with years of experience. So remember DC staffers: I too am smart.

4 comments:

  1. just b/c you went through a process does not mean you're smart. it just means you're a rat that got through the maze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So smart you don't place commas where appropriate? Man, you sure told us! Also, many interns in this city get to be interns based on who Mom and Dad know, not because you think you are smart.

    Plus I'd be really careful about blogging about being an intern, lest anyone figures out your office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart doesn't equal wise. If interns lack the humility to seek, follow and appreciate the etiquette and rhythm of their temporary surroudings, then they set themselves up to be ridiculed as tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Just because you're older than me does not mean you are smarter than me."

    I think what you wanted to write was: "Just because you're older than I am does not mean that you're smarter than I am."

    ReplyDelete